UC admission harder than ever for Californians; Katy Murphy; In San Jose Mercury News; 2014-04-30.
Quick Spin: 2014 Cadillac ELR [Review]; Drew Johnson; In Left Lane; 2014-04-29.
tl;dr => he’s a a sophisticate, a beemer & nissan man. Opinement in the style of “nice try, but not good enough for my subtle & refined taste.” Good images of the vehicle tho.
What a Toilet Hoax Can Tell Us About the Future of Surveillance; ; In The Atlantic; 2014-04-29.
Teaser: A made-up toilet company raises legitimate questions about government data-tracking.
John Carlos Baez; Levels of Excellence; In His Blog; 2013-09-29.
- man after midnight; on Reddit; via Artem Kaznatcheev on Google+; an essay.
- Daniel F. Chambliss, The Mundanity of Excellence: An Ethnographic Report on Stratification and Olympic Swimmers; In Sociological Theory; Volume 7, Number 1; 1989-Spring; pages 70-86 (18 pages);
The paper becomes the thesis becomes the book (1988-07).
What Running Out of Power in a Tesla on the Side of a Highway Taught Me About the Road Trip of Tomorrowl; Nate Berg; In The Atlantic; 2014-04-29.
Teaser: A lesson in range anxiety on the country’s emerging Supercharger network.
tl;dr => naysayer runs out of fuelbattery on the road south and has a bad time; AAA refuses to tow; <sarcasm>shows why gas is better</sarcasm>; minimum-viable reporting.
- Britta Gross, [title?]heads the electric vehicle infrastructure program at General Motors.
- Timothy Lipman, co-director of the Transportation Sustainability Research Center at UC Berkeley.
- Michael Nicholas of the UC Davis Plug-In Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Research Center.
- Charging Stations
Joseph J. Thompson, Mark R. Blair, Andrew J. Henrey; Over the Hill at 24: Persistent Age-Related Cognitive-Motor Decline in Reaction Times in an Ecologically Valid Video Game Task Begins in Early Adulthood; In PLoS One; 2014-04-09; landing.
Typically studies of the effects of aging on cognitive-motor performance emphasize changes in elderly populations. Although some research is directly concerned with when age-related decline actually begins, studies are often based on relatively simple reaction time tasks, making it impossible to gauge the impact of experience in compensating for this decline in a real world task. The present study investigates age-related changes in cognitive motor performance through adolescence and adulthood in a complex real world task, the real-time strategy video game StarCraft 2. In this paper we analyze the influence of age on performance using a dataset of 3,305 players, aged 16-44, collected by Thompson, Blair, Chen & Henrey . Using a piecewise regression analysis, we find that age-related slowing of within-game, self-initiated response times begins at 24 years of age. We find no evidence for the common belief expertise should attenuate domain-specific cognitive decline. Domain-specific response time declines appear to persist regardless of skill level. A second analysis of dual-task performance finds no evidence of a corresponding age-related decline. Finally, an exploratory analyses of other age-related differences suggests that older participants may have been compensating for a loss in response speed through the use of game mechanics that reduce cognitive load.
Bill Aulet; Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup; Wiley; 2013-08-12; 288 pages; kindle: $17, paper: $18.
Bill Aulet is managing director, Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship,
- Getting started
- Market segmentation
- Select a beachhead market
- Build an end user profile
- Calculate the total addressable market (TAM) size for the beachhead market
- Profile the persona for the beachhead market
- Full life cycle use case
- High-level product specification
- Quantify the value proposition
- Identify your next 10 customers
- Define your Core
- Chart your competitive position
- Determine the customer’s decision-making unit (DMU)
- Map the process to acquire a paying customer
- Calculate the TAM size for follow-on markets
- Design a business model
- Set your pricing framework
- Calculate the lifetime value (LTV) of an acquired customer
- Map the sales process to acquire a customer
- Calculate the cost of customer acquisition (COCA)
- Identify key assumptions
- Test key assumptions
- Define the minimum viable business product (MVBP)
- Show that “the dogs will eat the dog food”
- Develop a product plan
Demography, Growth and Inequality: Age Invaders; staff; In The Economist; 2014-04-26.
Research shows smartphone sensors leave trackable fingerprints; press release; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; 2014-04-25.
- some paper; Proceedings of Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS); 2014-02.
- some other paper; In Proceedings of HotMobile,; 2014
- <quote>“Don’t share your accelerometer data without thinking about how legitimate or how secure that application is,” Dey said. “Even if it’s using only the sensor data, still it can attack you in some way. The consumer should be aware.”</quote>