Tech companies are sending your secrets to crowdsourced armies of low-paid workers; Kashmir Hill; In Fusion; 2015-03-31.
- Invisible Boyfriend
- an app
- Kyle Tabor, founder, Invisible Boyfriend
- Ellie Shechert, reporter, Jezebel.
- Used the service
- Wrote an article exposing the practice
- Concept: workforce as a service
- Similar to, but … different
- Kaleigh Rogers, eporter, Motherboard
- Walter S. Lasecki
- Ph.D. candidate
- University of Rochester
- Walter S. Lasecki, Jaime Teevan, Ece Kamarl; Information Extraction and Manipulation Threats in Crowd-Powered Systems; In Proceedings of Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW); 2014-02-15; 9 pages.
The Eternal Return of BuzzFeed; Adrienne LaFrance, Robinson Meyer; In The Atlantic; 2015-04-15.
Teaser: What the online juggernaut can learn from Time, USA Today, and MTV
tl;dr → BuzzFeed is like Time, USA Today & MTV which all came before.
- Jonah Peretti, CEO, BuzzFeed.
- Time (Magazine)
- USA Today
- The Atlantic Monthly
- John Podhoretz
- Theodore Peterson
- Henry Luce
- The U.S. Newspaper Industry in Transition; Suzanne M. Kirchhoff; Congressional Research Service; Report R40700; 2010-09-09; 28 pages.
- Cable News Network (CNN)
- The New York Times
- Kenneth Lerer, executive chairman, BuzzFeed’; a managing director, Lerer Hippeau (a venture capital shop).
- Rob Tannenbaum, Craig Mark; I Want my MTV: The Uncesored Story of the Music Video Revolution; 2012-09-25; 592 pages; kindle: $14, paper: $18 ($3)+SHT.
- Shani Hilton, editor, BuzzFeed.
- clickability; generating stories that are clickable; sharable
- BuzzFeed Motion Pictures
- Another Round
- Internet Explorer
- Millennial audiences
- BuzzFeed BFF
- (native) advertising
- (native) advertising removal in response to advertiser criticism
- BuzzFeed wants to be big; big is a defense against takeovers
- Ben Thompson; Why BuzzFeed is the Most Important News Organization in the World; In His Blog; 2015-03-03.
How to secure SSH login with one-time passwords on Linux; Editor; In Xmodulo; 2015-03-30.
- Integrates via PAM
- Not available on Fedora or Red Hat (you have to build from source).
git clone https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/git/otpw
Makefile requires manual editing
~/.otpw contains (hashed) pregenerated passwords)
/usr/sbin/sshd tries to write to user’s home directory, which is not allowed by default SELinux policy. You must manually update the SELinux policy.
Google Tells Brick-And-Mortars To Adapt To ‘Micro-Moments’ Marketing; ; In GeoMarketing; 2015-04-15.
Google Begins SMB Outreach For Digital Presence Management, Custom Listings Hub; Nicole Spector; In GeoMarketing; 2015-03-25.
Google Attempts Customer Service Rebound With Small Biz Clients; David Kaplan; In GeoMarketing; 2015-03-04.
- Local Advertising Conference; Borrell Associates; 2015-02.
- Joe DeMike, Customer Experience Lab, Google.
- Chronicle of Google’s past product failures
- Google Places
- Adwords Express, 2010-12
- Originally named Boost.
- Something about a conflict with Boost Mobile (a separate company)
- Adwords; 2011-04-05
- Something about phone service for SMBs
- <quote>Google found that many of its SMB customers were still struggling with AdWords. Google found that offering an intensive, personal training program over a video call could overcome an SMB owner’s struggle with learning AdWords.</quote>
- Get Your Business Online
Android Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Example; Mohit Gupt (Truiton); In Their Blog; 2015-04-23.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Android Bluetooth Low Energy
- API 18 (Android 4.3) => introduced
- API 21 => “improved” (made useable)
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.bluetooth_le" android:required="true"/>
- There’s a (long) compilable(?) listingfor a discovery service on the page.
- Generic Attribute Profile (GATT) of Bluetooth
The hazards of predictive computing; Michael Cowling; In The World Economic Forum; 2015-04-02.
The hazards of presumptive computing; Michael Cowling; In The Conversation; 2015-03-31.
- “the tank parable”
- attributed to Elieler Yudkowsky
- The training set was cloudy-plus-tank vs sunny-minus-tank.
- The algo learned cloudy-vs-sunny not tank presence.
- Eliezer Yudkowski (Machine Intelligence Research Institute); Artificial Intelligence as a Positive and Negative Factor in Global Risk; In Global Catastrophic Risks; editors: Nick Bostrom, Milan M. Ćirković; 2008; pages 308–345 (46 pages).
The tank parable is unsourced; page 16; Section 7.2 An Example of Technical Failure
- the wife parable
- <quote> I noticed my wife was quite quiet on the way home. I looked over at her and asked what was up and she said “nothing, I’m fine”, at which point I knew I was in trouble!</quote>
- Google email autocomplete
- Google email “did you mean to attach” warns you if you haven’t done both.
Probabilistic programming does in 50 lines of code what used to take thousands; press release; Massachusetts Institute of technology (MIT); 2015-04-13.
- Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference; hosted at MIT; 2015-06.
- Picture, a programming language
- Tejas Kulkarni, graduate student, MIT
- Josh Tenenbaum, professor of brain and cognitive sciences MIT
- Vikash Mansinghka, staff, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, MIT
- Pushmeet Kohli, Microsoft.
tl;dr => free & open always wins in the long run; in the long run we are all dead.
YouTube confirms plans for ad-free subscription service; Zach Miners; In PC World; 2015-04-08.