Lee Rainie, Janna Anderson, Dana Page; Code Dependent: Pros and Cons of the Algorithm Age; 2017-02-08; 87 pages; landing.
Teaser: Algorithms are aimed at optimizing everything. They can save lives, make things easier and conquer chaos. Still, experts worry they can also put too much control in the hands of corporations and governments, perpetuate bias, create filter bubbles, cut choices, creativity and serendipity, and could result in greater unemployment.
Table of Contents
- Themes illuminating concerns and challenges
- Key experts’ thinking about the future impacts of algorithms
- About this canvassing of experts
- Theme 1: Algorithms will continue to spread everywhere
- Theme 2: Good things lie ahead
- Theme 3: Humanity and human judgment are lost when data and predictive modeling become paramount
- Theme 4: Biases exist in algorithmically-organized systems
- Theme 5: Algorithmic categorizations deepen divides
- Theme 6: Unemployment will rise
- Theme 7: The need grows for algorithmic literacy, transparency and oversight
There are lots of references and footnotes.