Nadiya Kostyuk, Muzammil M. Hussain (CPD); The Spread of Mass Surveillance, 1995 to Present; In Their Blog at the Center for Political Studies (CPS), Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan; 2017-09-01.
Previously performed at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association (APSA); the presentation, titled “Big Data Innovation Transfer and Governance in Emerging High Technology States” was a part of the session “The Role of Business in Information Technology and Politics” on Friday 2017-09-01.
tl;dr → an exercise in documentation; factoids are developed; a diversity is shown.
<quote>The observed cases in our study differ in scope and impact.</quote>
- Nadiya Kostyuk, Wei Chen, Vishnupriya Das, Fan Liang, Muzammil M. Hussain; High-Tech Governance Through Big Data Surveillance: Tracing the Global Deployment of Mass Surveillance Infrastructures, 1995 to Present; 2017-08-31 (2017-09-05); 37 pages; ssrn:3030347.
- Big Data Innovation & Governance (BigDIG)
performed at the annual meetings of
- Aadhaar, a national ID program, India.
- Social Credit System, China.
|Categorical (arbitrary)||Total Spend (USD)||Spend/Individual (USD)||Span (count)||Coverage||Universe||Fun|
|$10.967B||$lower-$110||0.1B||81%||their populations||upper is 11X more
than “other regime type”
|advanced democracies||$8.909B||$11||0.812B||74%||their population|
|high-spending dictatorships and democracies,
developing and emerging democracies
- An. Article; Some Cub Reporter (SCR); In Bloomberg; 2017-08-24.
- About Aadhaar; Government of India
- Chinese Citizens Want The Government To Rank Them; Some One or Some Thing; In Foreign Policy; 2017-04-24.
- “harmonious socialist society”; staff; In China People’s Daily; 2010-09.
the term, as sourced, probably not the article title.
- Big Data (which, by definition is VERY BIG); In Jimi Wales’ Wiki