John Battelle; Tech Is Public Enemy #1. So Now What?; In His Blog, white-labeled as NewCo, centrally-hosted on Medium; 2017-09-10.
Teaser: If tech wants to reverse the crushing tide of negative public opinion, it must start creating public good commensurate with its extraction of private profit.
tl;dr → Agree, perhaps. But it’s not clear to what one is agreeing at all; whereas the lede is buried. That being promotion of Richard Florida’s book The New Urban Crisis.
and → Unto the hook of the title: For the sin.
- Restitute, reparate.
John Battelle interviewed Richard Florida towards a book promotion.
Richard Florida The New Urban Crisis: How Our Cities Are Increasing Inequality, Deepening Segregation, and Failing the Middle Class—and What We Can Do About It 1st Edition ; Basic Books; 2017-04-11; 336 pages; ASIN:0465079741: Kindle: $18, paper: $12+SHT.
- Where “tech” is Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, and maybe Netflix (rly?).
- And JB foresaw it in a vision of 2017-01; fair. he also “saw” it in 2011-12, had Microsoft in the cohort, and pitched “The Internet Big Five” as a gushing chronicle-of-the-times, only-time-will-tell honorific of boosterist veneration. It’s okay to change one’s mind.
- Richard Florida is granted 191 words at the end to speak as a threat.
Whereas Richard Florida has a direct line to Congress.
Unless his demands are met … something will happen
- Google Apple Facebook Amazon (GAFA),
Google Amazon Facebook Apple (GAFA)
- Facebook Amazon Netflix Google (FANG),
Facebook Apple Netflix Google (FANG)
- No Wintel
- No Microsoft?
- No Intel?