As Google Fights Fake News, Voices on the Margins Raise Alarm; Daisuke Wakabayashi; In The New York Times (NYT); 2017-09-26.
tl;dr → Google Bad. They change their indexing; publishers beholden to search-generated traffic sourcing schemes are affected.
and → <quote>The New York Times could not find the same level of traffic declines at all of those publications, based on data from SimilarWeb</quote> <ahem>then why write the article about a non-event?</ahem>
The voices on the margins,
The marginal voices.
- Socialists, specifically, David North
- Frank Pasquale
Frank Pasquale; The Black Box Society: The Secret Algorithms That Control Money and Information; Harvard University Press; 2016-08-29; 320 pages; ASIN:0674970845: Kindle: $10, paper: $11+SHT; separately filled.
- World Socialist Web Site (WSWS)
- Project Owl, of Google
- Announced 2017-04.
- <google>algorithmic updates to surface more authoritative content</google>
<ny-times>stamp out fake news stories from its search results</ny-times>
- Google performs search results page rating
- A panel method, of living humans.
- The panel is paid-staff of Google.
- Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines; Google; 2013.
- Alexa, of Amazon,
not the robot, the web analytics shop.
has independent traffic estimates.
- David North (WSWS); open letter to Google, World Socialist Web Site (WSWS); 2017-08-25.
- SimilarWeb, a web analytics firm.
- some video, unattributed; hosted on SourceFed; 2016-06.
tl;dr → accuses Google; asserts there is manipulation of the search results.
- Four Times Google was Linked Directly to Hillary Clinton; Some Screeching Troll (SST); On Breitbart; 2017-08-14
- is buried.
- The New York Times (NYT) is not able to replicate or validate the claims of traffic falloff.
<quote>The New York Times could not find the same level of traffic declines at all of those publications, based on data from SimilarWeb, a web analytics firm. </quote>
- Michael Bertini, expert, iQuanti.
iQuanti is a marketing agency.
- Pandu Nayak, spox, fellow, Google.
- David North, the editorial chairman, World Socialist Web Site
- Frank Pasquale, professor, law, information law, University of Maryland.
In The New York Times (NYT)…
- Internet Giants Face New Political Resistance in Washington; Cecilia Kang; 2017-09-20.
- Presidential Election Results; current, but circa 2016-11-09.