Attack of the Zombie Websites; Craig Silverman; In BuzzFeed; 2017-10-17.
Teaser: <snip>actual reporting, by an actual reporter</snip> how seemingly-credible players in the ad supply chain can play an active role in — and profit from — fraud.
tl;dr → the lede is buried, but he does get down to it; the names are recited, the scheme is explained. Lots of discursory background & color.
Whereas the article buries the lede way way down under the fold…
- 301network Media, allied “dbas”; Matt Arceneaux, Andrew Becks.
Monkey Frog Media, Market 57, Orange Box Media
- AdSupply, allied “dbas”; Eric Willis, Chris Corson.
Focus Marketing, Lepton Labs
- KVD Brand Inc.; Katarina Van Derham.
Viva Glam, RecipeGreen
- Social Puncher, an research boutique, operated as SadBotTrue.com.
- Pixelate, opined; claims independent discovery.
- Protected Media, opined, as commissioned, from BuzzFeed.
- Integral Ad Sciences (IAS), opined, as commissioned, from BuzzFeed..
- “session hijacking”
- “friend or foe” system
- “ad hell”
- <quote>It was the digital equivalent of skimming from a casino.</quote>
- “In-human traffic,” “non-human traffic”
because nobody in the trade wants to say “robot.”