Harro van Lente, Arie Rip; Expectations in Technological Developments: An Example of Prospective Structures to be Filled in by Agency; 28 pages; ; OAI:oai:doc.utwente.nl:34732; landing, (a photocopy of a paper article) academia.edu, landing as Chapter 7; In Cornelis Disco, Barend vander Meulen, Getting New Technologies Together: Studies in Making Sociotechnical Order; Walter de Gruyter; 1998.
An earlier version of this paper was prepared, submitted, presented at the XXIth (21st?) World Congress of Sociology, ISA, Bielefield, DE, 1994-07-18.
- Agenda Theory (van Lente 1993)
- <quote>The study of texts <snip/> in this sense, one can think of technology as a generalized text This is important <snip/> because texts are nothing if not internally coordinated, among other things because of their story-line.</quote>
- Prospective Structure
- Structure versus Agency
- the “script”
- Expectation (theory)
<quote>expectations structure activity differently than structures normally do</quote>
- <quote capitalization=”herein”>Prospective Structure hence has the same power as Forceful Fiction in opening up space for action.</quote>
- van Lente → Agenda Theory (his, theirs)
- Mead → role-taking
- Goffman → dramaturgical presentation of self
- Berger & Luckman → social construction of reality
- Giddens → structuration theory
- Burns & Flam → social rule system theory
- Shibutani → social processes
- Strauss → social world
- Boudon → transformation processes
- Technology and the Problem of Structure-Agency in Sociology
- Some Examples of Emerging Patterns in Technology
- Example 1: Moore’s Law as a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.
- Example 2: The Emerging World of Membrane Technology in The Netherlands.
- Example 3: HDTV, a Self-Justifying Technology.
- From Promise to Requirement
- Mechanisms: Mutual Positioning and Agenda-Building
- In Conclusion
The privacy threat of IoT device traffic rate metadata; Zeljka Zorz; In Some Blog, entitled Help Net Security; 2017-05-22.
tl;dr → There be dragons. Use a VPN. SIGINT by TA on the MD (Signals Intelligence by Traffic Analysis on the Meta Data)
- Traffic Analysis
- traffic rate
The Internet of Things Needs a Code of Ethics; Kaveh Waddell; In The Atlantic; 2017-05-01.
Teaser: Technology is evolving faster than the legal and moral frameworks needed to manage it.
tl;dr → an interview with Francine Berman, promoting the CACM article.
- there be dragons.
Social and Ethical Behavior in the Internet of Things; Francine Berman, Vinton G. Cerf; In Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (CACM); 2017-02; 2 pages.
- Vint Cerf, self
- Francine Berman, professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Industrial Revolution
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- cyber-physical systems
- Internet of Things.
- Google Maps
- digital assistants
- Patients Like Me]
Rand Waltzman; The Weaponization of Information; CT-473; Rand Corporation; 2017-04-27; 10 pages; landing.
Teaser: The Need for Cognitive Security
Testimony presented before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity on 2017-04-27.
- Take the population and break it down into communities, based on any number of criteria (e.g. hobbies, interests, politics, needs, concerns, etc.).
- Determine who in each community is most susceptible to given types of messages.
- Determine the social dynamics of communication and flow of ideas within each community.
- Determine what narratives of different types dominate the conversation in each community.
- Use all of the above to design and push a narrative likely to succeed in displacing a narrative unfavorable to you with one that is more favorable.
- Use continual monitoring and interaction to determine the success of your effort and adjust in real time.
Christopher Paul, Miriam Matthews; The Russian “Firehose of Falsehood” Propaganda Model; PE-108-OSD; Rand Corporation; 2016; 16 pages (landscape, like slideware); landing.
Teaser: Why It Might Work and Options to Counter It
Daniel Solove; Notable Privacy and Security Books from 2016; In His Blog on Linkedin; 2017-01-02.
A Stanford dean on adult skills every 18-year-old should have; Julie Lythcott-Haims; In Quora; 2016-04-14.
tl;dr → a book promotion
An 18-year-old must be able to…
- talk to strangers
- find his or her way around
- manage his assignments, workload, and deadlines
- contribute to the running of a house hold
- handle interpersonal problems
- cope with ups and downs
- earn and manage money
- take risks
From Encrypted Drives To Amazon’s Cloud — The Amazing Flight Of The Panama Papers; Thomas Fox-Brewster; In Forbes; 2016-04-05.
Panama Papers, publication site; International Consortium of Investigative Journalists
- Mossack Fonseca
- Disk-Level Encryption
- Failed: TrueCrypt
- Mounir Idrassi
- Apache Solr
- Apache Tika, indexing, parses file formats (e.g. PDF)
- Google Authenticator
- Amazon (storage, serving)
- Oxwall, custom social networks; LAMP
- ICIJ, on GitHub
- DuckDuckGo, a search engine
Apparently, DuckDuckGo uses Apache Solr.
Silicon Valley job boom unleashes challenges that could choke growth; George Avalos; In Mercury News; 2016-04-07.
- A Study. That. Shows.; uncited
- developed by: Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy.
- commissioned by: Joint Venture Silicon Valley.
- Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy.
- Joint Venture Silicon Valley
- Stephen Levy, director, Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy, Palo Alto.
- Jeffrey Michael, director, Business Forecasting Center, University of the Pacific, Stockton.
Why Brick-And-Mortar Stores Are The Next Big Attribution Hurdle; James Hercher; In Ad Exchanger; 2016-03-01.
tl;dr → because.
- LiveRamp of Acxiom
- addressable TV
- <quote>The product works by combining LiveRamp’s retail connectivity with PlaceIQ’s location targeting. LiveRamp has a huge repository of in-store shopping data, which it receives through a network of third parties.</quote>
- Derek Thompson, Chief Strategy Officer, PlaceIQ
- Anneka Gupta, Chief Product Officer, LiveRamp.
- Karen Fichuk, North American president, Nielsen.
- Mobile Location Data Aims To Connect OOH Campaigns To In-Store Sales; James Hercher; In Ad Exchanger; 2016-02-03.
- Out of Home (OOH)
- Clear Channel Media
- National CIneMedia (NCM), an in-cinema ad network
- a joint venture
- GroupM of WPP
- Fullscreen, influencer marketing
- Michael Lieberman, COO of tenthavenue [an OOH agency within WPP]
- David Shim, founder&CEO, Placed.
- Jeff Tan, VP of strategy, Posterscope [OOH agency of Dentsu Aegis]
- With New Attribution Product, Foursquare Will Report On Retail Visits; James Hercher; In Ad Exchanger; 2016-02-22.
- Swarm, a check-in app
- Christine Cook, head of ad partnerships, Flipboard.