Are you sharing the same IP address as a criminal? Law enforcement call for the end of Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) to increase accountability online; press release; EuroPol; 2017-10-17.
tl;dr → they want IPv6 to definitively tie a single suspect to a single Internet Protocol Address.
and → <quote>A new version of IP address (IPv6) which provides an unlimited number of IP addresses…</quote> ["unlimited" rly?]
A workshop, 2017-10-13. With a finding, and a press release.
- Estonian Presidency of the EU Council
- Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGN, CG-NAT)
- Standing Committee on Operational Cooperation on Internal Security (COSI)
- Action Plan on Internet and Terrorism
- Cybercrime Task Force, European Union
- the IPv6 Company
- European Commission.
- Rob Wainwright, Executive Director, Europol.
- Steven Wilson, “head” of European Cybercrime Centre, Europol.
Three Papers Using NTIA Data to be Presented at Research Conference; press release; National Telecommunications & Information Administration (NTIA), Department of Commerce; 2017-09-07.
John B. Morris, Jr., Associate Administrator, Office of Policy Analysis and Development
- Et & Alia; ssrn:2944394
- Jacob Manlove, Brian Whitacre, et al? A Paper, with a Title; ssrn:2958436
- Avijit Sarkar, James Pick, Elizabeth Parrish (University of Redlands); A Paper, with a Title; ssrn:2942292, authors are hosted at the
l;dr → geographic and socioeconomic disparities in Internet use among the 50 states, using 17 indicators of Internet use found in NTIA’s Digital Nation survey.
- Census Bureau
- Digital Nation Survey
- Current Population Survey (CPS)
A Comprehensive Look at Low Power, Wide Area Networks (LPWAN); a whitepaper; LinkLabs; 2017?; 16 pages (2 of content)
‘Internet of Things’ Engineers and Decision Makers Important People Like You
- Symphony Link
- Uses LoRa PHY (Physical Layer)
- Does not use LoRaWAN MAC architecture
Has an incompatible addressing system.
- Link Labs
- Low Power, Wide Area Network (LPWAN)
- Internet of things (IoT)
- Machine to Machine (M2M)
Blockstack announces $25 million fund to rebuild the internet for a blockchain world; Mo Marshall; In VentureBeat; 2017-08-16.
tl;dr → press release announces $25 million <snide>their success is assured</snide>
- Union Square Ventures (USV)
- Lux Capital
- Digital Currency Group
- Has registered 73,000 domains in their book
- Has not yet announced the start date of its token sale.
- 2013 → founded (incorporated?, IP filings datestamped as?)
- 2014 → development
Rocket Fuel Awarded Two Patents to Help Leverage First-Party Cookies to More Meaningfully Reach Consumers; press release, syndicated by Stockhouse; circa 2017-08-15.
Rocket Fuel Awarded Two US Patents to Help Leverage First-Party Cookies to More Meaningfully Reach Consumers; press release; Rocket Fuel; 2017-08-15.
US Patent No. 9,641,632 — “Method of Storing a Web User ID in First-Party Cookies”
Third party ad servers log a user’s web browsing activities. On web pages where the ad server is a third party, the web page’s code is configured to provide the ad server read and write access to an advertiser’s first party cookie on a user’s web browser. The ad server uses this access to read and write a unique user identification number to the cookie. The ad server also maintains a separate copy of the user identification number on a remote server. Correlating the user identification both within the ad server and within the cookies stored in the user’s web browser allows the ad server to identify and log the web traffic associated with particular users. This information is useful in a number of contexts, including determining which ad inventory to purchase for which users, and how to value the corresponding ad inventory.
A third party company (also referred to as an ad server) provides an advertiser with computer code to place on the advertiser’s web pages. The web page’s code is configured to provide the ad server read and write access to an advertiser’s first party cookie on a user’s web browser. A user interacts with an ad on a mobile application or third party web page. Based on the user’s interaction with the ad a URL containing a web address and ad instance information are sent to the user’s web browser. The user’s landing page associated with the URL contains code for retrieving the ad instance information and storing it in a first party cookie. When the user navigates to a purchasing page and purchases a product, the code contained in the purchasing page retrieves the ad instance information from the first party cookie and sends it to the ad server.
a href=”http://amp.weforum.org/agenda/2017/07/computer-ai-machine-learning-predict-the-success-of-startups”>A computer was asked to predict which start-ups would be successful. The results were astonishing; Shashi Reddy; In Their Blog at the World Economic Formm (an LLC?); 2017-07-21.
Shashi Reddy Chief of Staff, Quid AI (ex-YouNoodle).
tl;dr → Quid sells a prediction engine.
Not shown: comparison with the dart board.
Not shown: comparison with the monkeys.
2017 Fifty Best Startups; Ellen Huet (staff); In Bloomberg; 2017-03-06.
Teaser: This is high-ceremony clickbait, an ad for QuidThese Are the 50 Most Promising Startups You’ve Never Heard Of
- Accion Systems
- BlueLine Grid
- Clark Germany
- Deep Space Industries
- Dispelix Oy
- Doppler Labs
- Eccrine Systems
- Edyn (Soil IQ)
- Focus FS
- Mad Street Den
- Mast Mobile
- Meta Company
- Mihup Communications
- Notion (Loop Labs)
- OB1 Company
- Omada Health
- Omapal Technologies
- Quanergy Systems
- Shape Security
- Treasure Data
- Quid AI is renamed
YouNoodle <snide>how dotcommy!</snide>
- Seems like the funding source was a feature in the model
<quote>quality of investors</quote>
- <quote>Quid found these market opportunity areas by analyzing the company descriptions of startups and finding what sectors were most popular among companies founded in 2015 and 2016, plus which sectors raised the most money from the top five venture capital firms. (The list of top venture capital firms comes from a top fund-of-funds that declined to be named for compliance reasons.)</quote>
- Bob Goodson, CEO, Quid AI.
- Shashi Reddy Chief of Staff, Quid AI.
- Ira Sager, reporter, Businessweek
Researchers report >4,000 apps that secretly record audio and steal logs; Dan Goodin; in Ars Technica; 2017-08-12.
tl;dr → Some pro bono work results in a bug report. Google has already remediated.
Michael Flossman (Lookout); SonicSpy: Over a thousand spyware apps discovered, some in Google Play; In Their Blog; 2017-08-10.
- SpyNote, is similar
Soon, users will simply be able to enter events by holding their phone up to a special sensor that detects specific sound frequencies; Sara Roncero-Menendez (staff); In PFSK; 2017-07-14.
Teaser: Soon, users will simply be able to enter events by holding their phone up to a special sensor that detects specific sound frequencies
tl;dr → Lisnr licensed by Ticketmaster . A cut, paste & strip of the VentureBeat article.
Ticketmaster Will Soon Admit You To Events Using Audio Data Transmitted From Your Smartphone; Paul Sawers; In VentureBeat; 2017-07-04.
Ticket validation. <quote>[The handset] broadcasts the sound, ranging from 18.75 kHz and 19.2 kHz. A scanner at the admission gate validates the ticket; the ticket is recorded “in the cloud” in an off-site database.</quote>
- Image of the scanner device
- Promotional video on YouTube
- Justin Burleigh, EVP of product, Ticketmaster
Dr Hugo Spiers on Sea Hero Quest: the game which uses play data for dementia research; Sachin Shah (staff); In Their Blogat the Royal College of Psyciatrists; 2017? (undated)
- Glitchers, a contract dev shop
- Sea Hero Quest (SHQ)
- spatial navigation tasks
- 2.7 million players
Dr Hugo Spiers, Reader in Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London Institute of Behavioural Neuroscience.
Image: 3600×1320; landing.