tl;dr → The advertising industry has been outlawed by GDPR.
Who Owns the Internet? — What Big Tech’s Monopoly Powers Mean for our Culture; Elizabeth Kolbert (bio); In The New Yorker; 2017-08-28; separately filled.
Teaser: What Big Tech’s monopoly powers mean for our culture.
tl;dr → promotes the books
- Jonathan Taplin; Move Fast and Break Things: How Facebook, Google and Amazon Cornered Culture and Undermined Democracy; Little, Brown and Company; 2017-04-18; 320 pages; Amazon:0316275778: Kindle: $16, paper: $16+SHT; separately filled.
- Franklin Foer; World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech; Penguin Press; 2017-09-12; 272 pages; ASIN:1101981113: Kindle: $14, paper: $18+SHT; separately filled.
- Use of Google Trends,to highlight interest in the terms
- Big Data
- Hewlett-Packard (HP);
which? HPE or HPQ?
- Vendor-defined terms
- Customer-defined terms.
- Amazon, is good
- Apple, is good
- Facebook, is bad
- Google, is bad.
- Netflix, is bad.
- C2C, a.k.a. a stich-N-bitch, a coffee klatch, a tailgate;
supplied for completeness; of course that’s a thing.
- egology, a neologism
defined as an amplification of monopoly; frustration is expressed.
- epiphenomenal, is a word.
- Scott Brinker (ChiefMarTec); Marketing Technology Landscape Supergraphic (2017): Martech 5000; In Their Blog; 2017-05-10; separately noted, previously noted.
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), In Jimi Wales’ Wiki.
- ote in this November 2015 Linux Journal column,
- ven if surveillance marketers (the alpha egologists) find ways around the GDPR (which some will), advertisers themselves are starting to realizetwo things:
- Tracking people like animals fails outright.
- The human beings who constitute the actual marketplace have mounted the biggest boycott in world history against it, in the form of ad blocking and tracking protection. (If you think this is a problem, you’re in the personal data extraction industry. If you think this is a solution, you’re among the .6 billion people who w
- ishes. (To grok how little we like being spied on, read The Tradeoff Fallacy: How Marketers are Misrepresenting American Consumers and Opening Them Up to Exploitation, a report by Joseph Turow, Michael Hennessy and Nora Draper of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania.)
- The Tradeoff Fallacy: How Marketers are Misrepresenting American Consumers and Opening Them Up to Exploitation
- The Advertising Bubble; In His Blog; 2015; a jeremiad.
- adbwars ← (monitored measured by) j.mp.
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- E.U. Google Fine; Some Cub Reporter (SCR); In The New York Times (NYT); 2017-06-27.
- publicity ← (monitored measured by) bit.ly.
- Bringing big data to the Enterprise; IBM
- IBM Big Data — Where do I start?; IBM
- 1O8a0Sy ← (monitored measured by) bit.ly.
- Five Years From Now, CMOs Will Spend More on IT Than CIOs Do
- Laura McLellan, staff, Gartner
- Emerging trends, tools and tech guidance for the data-driven CMO; IBM
- Big Data Vendor Revenue and Market Forecast, 2013-2017; at Wikibon.
- US IBM Investors; staff; In Reuters; WHEN?
- Secrets of Surveillance Capitalism; Shoshana Zuboff; In Frankfurter (Magazine); 2016-05-03; single-page layout.
Cited as provenance for the epithet surveillance marketers
<ahem>The article is sprayed out over nine (9) separate pages to increase the time spent on site and increase the possibility to monetize the target’s sojourn time.</ahem>
- Don Marti; Why surveillance marketers don’t worry about GDPR (but privacy nerds should); In His Blog; 2017-08-01; previously filled (nothing to see there).
- Apple Treats Disease: Google Treats <snip/>; In Ad Contrarian; 2017-06.
- Procter & Gamble Slashed Digital Ad Spending; You’ll Never Guess What Happened Next!; In Some Blog; 2017-07-28.
- the biggest boycott in world history ← (monitored measured by) j.mp
- Netflix is Now Bigger Than Cable TV; Some Cub Reporter (SCR); In Forbes; 2017-06-13.
- That’s when they agree to our terms as first parties ← (monitored measured by) bit.ly
- Customer Commons
- Kantara Initiative
- Markets, at jlinclabs
- How To Reverse Publisher Revenue Drain; Staff (The Graph); Centrally hosted on Medium; WHEN?
Centrally hosted on Medium, and elsewhere…
- What If We Don’t Need Advertising At All; centrally hosted on Medium; WHEN?
- How Will the Big Data Craze Play Out; In Linux Journal; 2015-11.
- Yes, please meet the Chief Executive Customer; In His Blog; 2012-06-19.
- Why Online Advertising Sucks and Is A Bubble; 2008-10-21.
<ahem>A nine year bubble. It could happen.<ahem>