Start-Ups Try to Challenge Google, at Least on Mobile Search; Conor Dougherty; In The New York Times (NYT); 2015-05-03.
- Vertical Search
- Mobile (vertical) Search
- Factoids on Venture Funding, CB Insights
- 2014 ==> 27 funded
- 2013 => 33 funded
- Jack Mobile
- lead VC: John Lilly, Greylock Partners
- founder is ex-Google, ex-YouTube (not amed?)
- Mike Farmer
- home office
- Kansas City, KS
- visual search & video
- uses Google Fiber
- mobile search
- lead VC: Keith Rabois, Kholsa Ventures
- Bobby Lo, founder
- movie search
- Jeremy Kressman, staff, eMarker
quoted for color, background & verisimilitude.
The new startups are “contra-Google” so here is Google’s refpoints.
- Susan Wojcicki, general manager, YouTube of Google.
- Aparna Chennapragada, director of product management, Google Search.
- Google Now
- deep links
Benedict Evans (Enders Analysis); How Mobile Is Eating The World; In Business Insider; 2013-11-17.
Alex Chitu; Android KitKat; In Google Operating System; 2013-10-31.