What I Learned When I Tried Being Authentic At Work; Ash Read; In Fast Company; 2016-01-22.
Teaser: Studies found that more than half of us cover up part of our identity to fit in at work, so what does it take to be authentic at work?
Ash Read is a content
farmistcrafter, on staff at Buffer.
Ash Read; What Does It Mean to Bring Your ‘Whole Self’ to Work?; In Some Blog as Buffer; 2016-01-17.
Ash Read is a content
craftistfarmer on staff at Buffer.
- [He] learned to embrace vulnerability in [his] writing
- [He] experienced what it feels like to value kind over clever
- [He] made time to reflect.
- Authenticity, authentic
- Kind vs Clever
What is wholeness
- Leave nothing at the door.
- Wholeness at home.
Make time to reflect
- You deliberately find time for reflection, because that’s where your life-changing adjustments come from.
- You have a calm approach to discussions and ponder points in your own time.
- You find time to jump out of the tranches into the higher-level thinking that will move the needle.
- You understand the value of patience and treat it as a muscle which needs practice to grow.
- Bruce Walsh, Kenneth H. Craik, Richard H. Price (editors); Person-Environment Psychology: New Directions and Perspectives; Psychology Press; 2009-05-01; 360 pages; promotion, at Google Books
- U.S. Inclusion: Uncovering Talent; staff; Deloitte; WHEN?
- Why Emoji Are Suddenly Acceptable At Work; Some Cub Reporter; In The Atlantic; 2015-05.
tl;dr → Because The Millennials require it. a hagiography of Stewart Butterfield, a promotion of Slack, a unicorn.
- Keith. J. Petrie, Roger J. Booth, James W. Pennebaker; The Immunological Effects of Thought Suppression; In Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 75(5); 1998; pages 1264-1272 (9 pages).
cited in Psychology 415: Social Bases of Health Behavior; Course: Fall 2012; University of Illinois at Chicago.
- We Are What We Choose (Baccalaureate Remarks); Jeff Bezos; At Princeton University; 2010-05-30.
tl;dr → Yettanother speech on Life Lesssons from a Success Model; Whereas Life is about Choices, you should choose Success, as did he.
Source of the aphorism <quote>Will you be clever at the expense of others, or will you be kind?</quote>
From the content farm
- small part of who we are
- bringing our whole selves to work
- Buffer bootcamp
- whichever hours we choose to work
- role buddy
- inviting partners on retreats
- private Buffer team Facebook page
- be suggestive
- slight feeling of discomfort
- Articles by Ash Read
- Why Building An Audience Is So Hard (And Why I’m Still Trying)
- The #1 Mistake We All Make on Twitter