Danah Boyd “danah boyd”; How “Demo-or-Die” Helped My Career; In Her Blog hosted on Medium; 2017-08-01
tl;dr → Dr. Boyd
doesdid not like busking; it is unbecoming. She has better patrons now. She is first among equal of the peers she cites. But she learned something by that experience.
Molly Steenson; Architectural Intelligence: How Designers and Architects Created the Digital Landscap, MIT Press; 2017-10-27; 320 pages; Amazon:0262037068: Kindle: no, paper: $35+SHT.
<quote> Everything about what I do as a researcher is rooted in the goal of using empirical work to help challenge people’s assumptions and generate new frames that people can work with. <snip/>And that requires being able to explain your thinking to anyone at any moment. And that’s the skill that I learned from the “demo-or-die” culture.</quote>
- Sociable Media Group, promotional site
- “Sponsor Days” at the MIT Media Lab.
- “handwaving,” attributed to Stewart Brand.
- “deploy-or-die,” attributed to Joi Ito.
- “publish-or-perish,” in academia, attributed to Nicholas Negroponte as “dismissal.”
- Stewart Brand
- Judith Donath
- Joi Ito
- Nicholas Negroponte
- Stewart Brand; The Media Lab: Inventing the Future at M.I.T.; Penguin Books; 1989-09-03; some pages; Amazon:B017YC9V3I: kindle: no, paper: $11+SHT.
- Molly Steenson; Architectural Intelligence: How Designers and Architects Created the Digital Landscap, MIT Press; 2017-10-27; 320 pages; Amazon:0262037068: Kindle: no, paper: $35+SHT.
- Joi Ito opines “Deploy-Or-Die”; Some Cub Reporter; In O’Reilly Media; 2014-04.