How to Make Your Own NSA Bulk Surveillance System; Kim Zetter; In Wired; 2016-01-27 (two years ago).
- National Security Agency (NSA)
- Nicholas Weaver, staff, International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS)
- Load Balancer
In order of appearance
Andrew Brook; Evolution and Practice: Low-latency Distributed Applications in Finance; In ACM Queue, Volume 13, Issue 4; 2015-05-04.
Teaser: The finance industry has unique demands for low-latency distributed systems
tl;dr => not really about finance; hooks around a story about quote streaming on J2EE (which is finance).
- Measuring latency is hard
- where measurement occurs
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Precision Time Protocol (PTP)
- RFC 1305 - Network Time Protocol (Version 3); Specification, Implementation and Analysis; David L. Mills (U. Delaware); IETF; 1992-03.
- RFC 5905 – Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification; D. Mills (U. Delaware), J. Martin (ISC), J. Burbank, W. Kasch (JHU/APL); IETF; 2010-06.
- IEEE 1588 – Standard for A Precision Clock Synchronization Protocol for Networked Measurement and Control Systems; IEEE 1588 (2008); paywalled.
- Rick Ratzel ,Rodney Greenstreet (National Instruments); Toward Higher Precision; In ACM Queue; Volume 10, Issue 8; 2012-08-27.
Teaser: An introduction to PTP and its significance to NTP practitioners
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- Variability in the stacked architecture
- Virtualization (of your cloud provider)
- Storage hierar chies (caching)
- Nagle’s Algorithm
- Stephen D. Strowes (Boundary); Passively Measuring TCP Round-Trip Times; In ACM Queue; Volume 11, Issue 8; 2013-10-28.
- Samy Al Bahra (AppNexus); Nonblocking Algorithms and Scalable Multicore Programming; In ACM Queue, Volume 11, Issue 5; 2013-06-11.
- Christoph Lameter; NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access): An Overview; In ACM Queue, Volume 11, Issue 7; 2013-08-09.
- Architecture Opportunities & bottlenecks
- Optimization & Premature Optimization
- Speculative Precomputation
- Cache Warming
- Stream Processing & Sneak Paths
Cameron Kerr; Finding IPv6 Addresses Derived from SLAAC; In His Blog; 2011-02-03.
An expression for ND DAD messages
tcpdump -n -s0 -v -i eth0 -e -x '
and (src host ::)
and (ip6[40+0] == 135)
and (ip6[0x30:4] == 0x20010470 and ip6[0x30+4:4] == 0x000d0b88)
Cameron Kerr; Capturing Particular ICMPv6 Packets using TCPdump; In His Blog; 2011-01-19
tcpdump -s0 -n -i he-ipv6 'icmp6 and (ipv6[40+0] == 2)'
tcpdump -s0 -n -i wifi 'icmp6 and ((ip6[40+0] == 133) or (ip6[40+0] == 134))'
tcpdump -s0 -n -i lo 'icmp6 and (ip6[40+0]&0xFE == 128)'
Summary of the ICMPv6 message types; published at Cisco.