Advertising Trade Groups Split Over Transparency Guidelines; Nathalie Tadena; In The Wall Street Journal (WSJ); 2016-01-28.
Teaser: American Association of Advertising Agencies and Association of National Advertisers didn’t agree on language
tl;dr → there may or may not be buying incentives (kickbacks, rebates, bribes) from media sellers (publishers) paid to agencies for representing their material,forcing advertisers to pay more; buyers (advertisers) want to know & believe there are latent sales terms in place; sellers (agencies) represent that there is nothing untoward going on and nothing ot see here, please move along.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies (4As)
represents agencies (hence the name)
- Association of National Advertisers (ANA)
represents advertisers (ahem, hence the name)
- The 4As Issues Transparency Guiding Principles of Conduct; press release; 2016-01?
Statement: Transparency Guiding Principles of Conduct
- ANA conducts an investigation into transparency in the industry
- In 2015-10
- Commissioned a Study. That. Shows.
- K2 Intelligence
- kickbacks, rebates, bribes → <quote>agencies may have arrangements in place with media sellers that reward the agencies for spending more</quote>
- Transparency Guiding Principles of Conduct” lays out nine principles.
- Jon Mandel, former CEO, Mediacom.
- rebates, kickbacks
- from media sellers (publishers) to agencies (buyer agents)
- at the expense of buyers (advertisers)
- Nancy Hill, Chief Executive, 4As
- Bob Liodice. , Chief Executive, ANA
- Jon Mandel, ex-CEO, Mediacom
- Bank of America
- Procter & Gamble
In The Wall Street Journal (WSJ)
- Advertiser Group ANA will Investigate Agency Rebate Allegations; Jack Marshall; 2015-10-20.
Teaser: The advertiser trade group said Tuesday it has hired two companies to conduct the investigation.
- Brian Wieser, stockpuffer, Pivotal Research.
<couched-language>noted that the allegations about “kickbacks” in the U.S. are difficult to ignore.</quote>
- Programmatic Omnicom; Nathalie Tadena; 2016-04-21.
- Ad Agencies Downgraded by Pivotal Research on Rebate Concerns; Nathalie Tadena; ; In The Wall Street Journal (WSJ); 2015-04-13.
- Agency Transparency Concerns Fueled by Former WPP Executive; Jack Marshall, Suzanne Vranica; 2016-03-06.