Adobe has figured out a clever way to track people as they switch between devices; Lara O’Reilly; In Business Insider; 2016-03-22.
tl;dr → cut & paste of an Adobe press release.
- Cross-Device “co op”
- Old Schemes
- IP addresses
- New Scheme
- deterministic (via email address, hashed)
“cryptographically hashed login IDs and HTTP header”
- Something about a consumer opt-out
- <quote>All co-op members are required to link to an Adobe-created centralized privacy tool</quote>
- Opt-out is stored in a cookie on the consumer’s device.
- Similar: TRUSTe.
- Something about air cover from Future of Privacy Forum (FPF).
- Asa Whillock, principal product manager, Adobe Marketing Cloud, Adobe Inc.
Doc Searls; Separating advertising’s wheat and chaff; In His Blog; 2015-08-12.
tl;dr → personalization is (still) bad; the solution is ProjectVRM
- Brand (blind, untargeted) → good
- Direct Response (personal, targeted)
- junk mail → good
- email → unstated
- html → bad
- Tim Ambler, E. Ann Hollier; The Waste in Advertising Is the Part That Works by In Journal of Advertising Research; Volume 44, Issue 04; 2004; pages 375-389 (14 pages); promotion; previously filled.
- Privacy Badger (ad block)
- “I’ve never heard of any of those companies”
- Ad Choices
- 2015 Privacy Index; TRUSTe; an infographic.
- The 2015 Ad Blocking Report: The Cost of Ad Blocking; PageFair with Adobe; 2015-08-09; 17 pages; landing; separately noted.
- Joseph Turow, Michael Hennessy, Nora Draper; The Tradeoff Fallacy: How Marketers are Misrepresenting American Consumers and Opening Them Up to Exploiitation; opinion; Annenberg School for Communication of the University of Pennsylvania; 2015-06; 24 pages.
tl;dr → a survey, self-attestation, N=1506; consumers are “resigned”
- Shoshana Zuboff (Harvard); Big Other: Surveillance Capitalistm and the Prospects of an Information Civilization; In Journal of Information Technology; Issue 30; 2015-04-04; pages 75–89 (15 pages). doi:10.1057/jit.2015.5; landing, ssrn:2594754; separately filled.
tl;dr → <quote>Google is to surveillance capitalism what General Motors was to managerial capitalis</quote>; Hal Varian is an apologist; surveillance subverts capitalism (which is old, storied, normative and valid).
- Don Martí; Targeted Advertising Considered Harmful; In His Blog; 2012?
- Security Bulletin; Kapersky Labs; 2014.
tl;dr →adware is bad, adware exists.
- T.Rob Wyatt; Online advertising is the new digital cancer; In His blog; 2014-12-14.
tl;dr →riffs upon that Kaspersky report; highlights “pull-quotes” from Kaspersky 2014.
in order of appearance (to be read as an indictment)
- SSPs (Supply Side Platforms)
- DSPs (Demand Side Platforms)
- ad exchanges
- RTB (real time bidding)
- DMPs (Data Management Platforms)
- tag managers
- data aggregators
- data brokers
- data resellers
- media management systems
- ad servers
- real time messagers
- social tools,
Why Data Trackers Couldn’t Trap This City Dweller; Kate Kaye; In Advertising Age; 2014-10-27.
Teaser: Ad Age Reporter Let Five Consumer Data-Gathering Firms Track Her Every Move for Three Weeks. Here’s What Happened.
tl;dr => nothing, three weeks of nothing; and nobody ITK would participate; therefore tracking is imprecise, lossy and error-prone.
- “Millennials: Breaking the Myths of this No Strings Attached Generation; Nielsen; webinar & report(53 pages); 2014-03-15.
- Beth Brady, President, Nielsen Segmentation & Local Market Solutions
- Michael Mancini, VP Thought Leadership, Nielsen Segmentation & Local Market Solutions
- And also
- ABC News
- Daily Workouts
- Rick Erwin, president, consumer insights and targeting, Experian Marketing Services,
- Sue Davidson, senior VP-analytics and accountability, R/GA (an agency).
- Kirsten McMullen, chief privacy officer, 4Info.
- Joshua Shale, chief operating officer, Speedeon.
- Peter Vandre, senior VP, digital analytics practice leader, Merkle (framed as a consultancy).
- Steve Simpson, Starcom MediaVest Group
- Loyalty Programs
- A&P my+Rewards
- Rite Aid Wellness+
- ShopRite Price Plus Club
- PLU (Price Look Up) => the store-specific codes for fruits & vegetables
Rick Armstrong (TRUSTe); Deep Dive into the DAA’s Application of Self-Regulatory Principles to the Mobile Environment; In Their Blog; 2010-10-08.
Rick Armstrong, Senior Product Marketing Manager, TRUSTe