How M&A Impacts The Remaining DSPs; James Hercher; In Ad Exchanger; 2017-08-21.
tl;dr → header bidding has killedwill kill the DSP, as a business proposition.
- Demand-Side Platform (DSP)
[pure-play] Demand-Side Platform (DSP)
- No new DSPs are prognosticated
- Too expensive to build new.
- Insufficient return once built.
- Costs are mounting
- [DSP] business model is flawed
- Derisk the agency
- Own the media until delivered.
- Financial arbitrage
- Claim: [many] agencies have gone from working with four to six buying platforms to closer to three now, attributed to Martin Kihn, Gartner.
- the walled garden platforms
the pure-play platforms
- Google’s DoubleClick Bid Manager (DBM)
- “seven or eight” closely packed DSPs
- The Trade Desk
- the rest… being: “five or six”
Source: opinement, Ad Perceptions in AdExchanger
- Michael Baker, CEO, DataXu
- Julian Baring, general manager for North America, Adform.
- Martin Kihn, research VP, Gartner
- Kevin Mannion, CSO, Advertiser Perceptions
- Rob Perdue, COO, The Trade Desk
Supply-Side Platforms (SSP)
- Tremor Video
sold: Taptica, the DSP operations
- Rubicon Project
abandoned DSP operations
Sold to telecom
sold to SingTel
- Oath (née AOL and Yahoo)
sold to Verizon
Sold to Elsewhere
- Rocket Fuel, sold to Sizmek owned by “private equity,”
- TubeMogul, sold to Adobe
In Ad Exchanger…
How Ads Follow You from Phone to Desktop to Tablet; Adam Tanner; In MIT Technology Review; 2015-07-01.
Teaser: Advertisers are increasingly using technology that targets users across multiple devices, and it’s working.
- <quote>Industry officials [who?] say they want to turn up the temperature slowly on the frogs in the pot of advertising, lest they leap out and prod regulation.</quote>
- Studies. That. Show.
- Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan, founder and CEO, Drawbridge.
- Roland Cozzolino, chief technology officer, MediaMath
- Andrew Sudbury, chief technology officer and cofounder, Abine, “maker of Blur.”
- Philip Smolin, senior vice president for strategy, Turn, “an agency”
Turn Hit With New Lawsuit Over ‘Zombie’ Cookies; Wendy Davis; In MediaPost; 2015-04-09.
- Anthony Henson, Rosedale NY
- William Cintron, Newburgy, NY
- UIDH, an HTTP Header
- PrecisionID, a trade name
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of California
- Jonathan Mayer, student, Stanford
Ad Tech and Marketing Automation Have Finally Collided; Alex Kantrowitz; In Advertising Age; 2014-08-14.
Teaser: Software Integrations Give B-to-B Marketers Valuable New Tools
- Integration (3-way)
- Look-alike Modeling
- Data Management Platform (captive DMP)
- Bizo of LinkedIn
- BlueKai of Oracle
- Eloqua of Oracle
- Lattice Engines
- Phil Fernandez, CEO, Marketo
- Russ Glass, CEO, Bizo
- Meagen Eisenberg, Vice President Demand Generation, DocuSign
- Brian Kardon, CMO, Lattice Engines
- Maureen Little, Senior Vice President, Business Development, Turn
- Kim Metcalf-Kupres, CMO, Johnson Controls,
- Mike Moeller, Vice President [what?], Marketo