Intel to stop making WiGig cards for laptops but still pushing 60GHz for VR; Peter Bright; In Ars Technica; 2017-09-08.
Teaser: Wireless docking stations haven’t really caught on, but VR headsets may be another story.
Intel Discontinues WiGig Cards, Antenna and Sink, Set to Focus on WiGig for VR; Anton Shilov; In AnandTech; 2017-09-08.
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- final order → 2017-09-29.
- final shipment 2017-12-29.
The Intel product literature…
Gigabit Wi-Fi: Difference Engine: Unplugging the cables; In The Economist; 2013-04-22.
- 60-gigahertz band resides in the EHF (extremely high frequency)
- has been around since 2008.
- a standard backed by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- published its specification in 2010.
- IEEE 802.11ad.
- Adaptive beamforming
- DVDO Air
- Wireless HD
- 7.1 channels
- Across-room video transmission
- Aries Prime, Nyrius
- Dell laptop
- Something about
tri-band Wi-Fi devices operating in the 2.4-gigahertz, 5-gigahertz and 60-gigahertz bands to market sometime in 2014